I am a huge fan of stuffed peppers! They are filled with everything I love and topped with my favorite thing…cheese, of course. There are so many ways you can make them too. Today I’m sharing a healthy version using ground turkey and quinoa. On Saturday mornings if we are free we head downtown to the local Farmer’s Market. It is such treat for our family, even our sweet pup Dolly loves tagging along. This past Saturday we picked up some peppers. They even had purple ones, which were beautiful! I plan our dinners by what we find at the market and I immediately thought stuffed peppers would be a perfect dinner to add to the menu. Hope you try this flavorful healthy recipe!
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
1lb. lean ground turkey or beef
3 garlic gloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1 tbs. olive oil
4 medium bell peppers
1 cup quinoa, cooked
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
1 15oz. can petite diced tomatoes
salt & pepper, to taste
dash of red pepper flakes, optional
1/2 cup lite shredded mexican cheese (or any kind you prefer), plus extra if you’d like!
garnish with chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare bell peppers by cutting them in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Spray a large 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray, then arrange peppers so that they all fit.
- Place olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add in onions, garlic, and jalapenos and saute for a few minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook for 5-7 minutes; breaking up and stirring consistently. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the tomato sauce and petite diced tomatoes, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked quinoa and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Then fill each pepper with turkey quinoa mixture. You may have some filling left over, so don’t worry about running out. Fill them to the top! Top each with 1 tbsp cheese or more if you’d like.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes. Carefully remove foil. Enjoy immediately!
Have a great weekend!! And thanks so much for stopping by!